Sunday, February 22, 2015

March Madness

I love March! I get to welcome spring and a return to warmer weather, the leprechaun can play his harmless tricks, and the best ... March Madness!! Well, that last one's really for me and certainly not Little H.

So what have I got planned for the month? Well ... that's a kind of madness in itself since I'm going to be hopping around to a variety of topics. First on the list: Dr. Seuss to go along with Read Across America on March 2nd. I've already checked out Little H's personal library and she has quite a few Dr. Seuss books ... lucky little girl! I plan on starting the day by making green eggs and ham. Then I'll have an assortment of Seuss activities interspersed throughout the day, making sure she has time to play as well.

Definitely want to share Dr. Seuss's ABC book since I try to work in some letter work each time I sit. Thought that could be followed up by some gross motor activities suggested by 3 Dinosaurs.




Then I made some green egg shapes with letters on the yolks. Little H will have to name the letter correctly and when she does she'll get to lift it into a frying pan. I adapted the idea after looking at this picture/post from The Homeschool Den.


And for the art project, I'll have all of the pieces precut to assemble a Cat in the Hat. Thank you Mrs. Saylor for the idea! Now mind you, it's not going to look quite like the picture since I had to draw all of the pieces freehand ... God, I LOVE that little girl!









But we can't forget a math activity! Obseussed has this cute counting mat to go along with the book 1 Fish 2 Fish. Mmmm, I'm not sure my son realizes what kind of prep and thought goes into each day that I watch Little H.


When I used to teach first grade I just loved that tricky little leprechaun. Luckily I discovered I had quite a few leprechaun books saved from my teaching collection that I can now share with my granddaughter.

I think I will adapt the coin activity at fun-a-day.com. Note to self: make a letter workmat and go shopping for some gold coins. The coins could be used as a stand alone - name the upper case letter or as a matching activity with the workmat of lower case letters.

I found a short counting song on youtube: Counting with a Leprechaun that Little H will like. Then there's this counting fingerplay as well. Little H does like her music and amazingly keeps a steady beat when clapping along. So-o-o I kept searching and found another one: The Little Leprechaun Song.



123Homeschool 4 Me had a handprint rainbow project that i picked because it looked a little different than all the other rainbow crafts out there - kudos to your creativity!! Guess I'll need to get those coins for sure now - this pot needs them too!  Next I found a cute shamrock painting idea to do with q-tips at crafty morning.com. I'm a little worried about taping q-tips together (they seem so fragile) so I'll tape three pencils together instead. Little H will be able to grip that easily and dipping the eraser end in the paint should work just fine! I'll round it off the day with some printables from my trusty pinterest board.





Since Easter falls on the first Sunday in April this year, I'll probably do an Easter theme the last week of March and then continue into the first week of April. Unfortunately I don't have a source for the first craft  pictured below. Might have to let her decorate that eggshell though to I've it more of an Easter look.




Adventures-In-Mommy-Land has a cute peeps craft. Guess that means I better include some peeps in her Easter basket ... Mommy & Daddy please don't hate me!



There are plenty of printables and videos available on my Easter board so I'll wait before making those selections ... Little H changes so quickly in what she can and cannot do! But I do know I'll be making a run to the Dollar Store and stocking up on some plastic eggs ... SO many ways to use those in play/learning activities.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments :)