Sunday, June 29, 2014

Summer Whites & Salads

Occasionally Stacy, Matilde, or I will host private wine events at our home through the Schaumburg Wine Meetup Group. In the past, they were very specific wine tastings based upon a region or variety of wine. So I was ready to try something new. I decided to host an event where each guest needed to supply a salad and a white wine. Each guest posted the salad  or dessert they were bringing so we didn't have to worry about duplicates. I even put out a few appetizers so we wouldn't need to worry about late arrivals.



I loved the simplicity of the set-up and it turned out to be a great event.  Great wines + wonderful salads + lots of laughter = a fun night!!


What a spread! Ceviche, chicken salad with croissants, Oriental chicken salad, antipasto salad, and cole slaw to name just a few. We also had roast chicken with feta, loaded baked potato salad, ratatouille ( a first for me which I found delicious), and fresh fruit. There was plenty for seconds and I even had small containers so people could take home a goodie box for lunch the next day.

They might have been salads, but it was still a LOT of food! So I had a game I adapted from a wine tour I helped host last summer.

Pass The Gift

Take this gift with my next clue and give it to the nearest person wearing some blue.
Next on … pass it to the closest mom with a girl, and then onto someone whose hair has some curl.
Pass it to anyone sitting/standing on your left; now I’m looking for a guest who’s willing to try theft!
Onto the next, lets not stop yet; give it to a wine lover who doesn’t have a pet.
We’re not stopping now …  no how, no way! So pass it on to the guest who arrived first today.
It’s an easy task and loads of fun, give it to someone who looks like they enjoy the sun!
A silly game-what will it bring; how about a guest willing to sing.
We’re almost there, just a couple more. Pass it to the person closest to the door.
Now find the guy with the least amount of hair, pass it to him if you dare.
Get in gear and get on the ball. Give this gift to someone tall.
Who brought the white wine made furthest away, take a bow and then the gift, okay?
Sadly, the bow was just for fun, you must give your gift away, so send it to the person who arrived last today.
Coming in last made you a winner tonight, but there are more gifts here so you have to make it right. Go check out the wines, finding four you would like to try. Hand whoever brought them a gift as you pass by.

Congratulations to Doris who took her time sampling the different white wines before making her selections. By then we had room for dessert. Now normally I just like a little "taste" of dessert but somehow I managed sampling all four: apricot cobbler, dump cake, turtle brownies, and strawberries with cool whip!


I really enjoyed the informality of the event. We had wonderful wines to sample throughout the evening and there was plenty of food to balance that alcohol. I liked the potluck aspect so I might have to repeat this in the fall, but probably not with salads.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments :)